Homemade sausage rolls. Is there anything better? These savoury sausage rolls are the perfect half time snack to have on Grand Final Day and they taste SO much better than anything you can buy at the shops. Plus, they’ve got a few hidden veggies in them too!
I created this sausage roll recipe for Barker’s Pantry and I love how the Barker’s Pantry Peach & Mango Chutney adds the perfect hint of sweetness to these sausage rolls. It cuts through the richness of the meat and pastry, and also helps to keep the meat moist and juicy too.
I had a lot of fun experimenting with the different Barker’s New Zealand relishes for this recipe and I can safely say that all were incredibly delicious. So if you can’t find the Peach & Mango Chutney, why not try one of their other yummy relishes and chutneys. The Tomato Relish gives a well balanced sweet and savoury flavour, while the Sweet Chilli Relish adds a touch of heat and spiciness.
Either way, these sausage rolls are sure to please a hungry crowd.
Makes 60 small sausage rolls
5 sheets ready-made puff pastry
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, grated
½ zucchini, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 thyme sprigs, leaves picked off
1 rosemary sprig, finely chopped
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
400g sausage meat
200g beef mince
3 tbsp breadcrumbs
½ jar Barker’s New Zealand Peach & Mango Chutney
Salt and pepper to taste
Egg wash – made with 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk
Sesame or poppy seeds to finish (optional)
- Remove puff pastry from the fridge and allow to defrost whilst preparing the filling. Preheat oven to 200°C and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof baking paper.
- Heat olive oil in a small frypan on medium heat. Add onion, carrot, zucchini and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables have softened and any moisture has evaporated. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Once vegetables have cooled, place in a bowl and add thyme leaves, rosemary, garlic, sausage meat, beef mince, breadcrumbs, egg and Barker’s New Zealand Peach & Mango Chutney. Season with salt and pepper and stir until everything is well combined. Divide into 10 equal portions.
- Cut each square of pastry in half and place a portion of the mixture down the side of the pastry in a sausage shape. Brush the opposite edge of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Roll up the pastry so that the filling is enclosed, ensuring the seam is faced down. Brush the top of rolled up pastry with the egg wash and cut into 6 even sized pieces. Place the pieces, seam side down on the prepared tray, leaving space between each roll. Top with seeds if using. Repeat with the remaining mixture and pastry.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.