I’ve been having lots of fun experimenting with the Barker’s New Zealand compote range for Barker’s Pantry and my favourite way to use it has definitely been in desserts. I usually like to keep it simple when it comes to flavours and cooking techniques, and using the Barker’s New Zealand compote range has made me feel super fancy in the kitchen.
I’ve been adding bright swirls of tropical fruit and berry compote to my pancakes, ice cream and yoghurt. It’s worked really well with pavlova but I’ve absolutely LOVED having it as the base for fruit crumbles. Being able to make a strawberry apple crumble in a matter of minutes has been the highlight of my weekends and it’s the perfect addition to any dinner party repertoire. All you need to do is layer the compote into small ramekins and top with your favourite crumble mixture and dessert is all ready to go!
Another favourite way to use compote has been in my classic banana bread recipe. It’s a super simple banana bread recipe and it tastes heavenly with the luscious Mixed Berry compote swirled through. It also works really well with all of the flavours in the Barker’s New Zealand compote range so be sure to try them all.
Cooking spray oil
3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup shredded coconut
1½ wholemeal self-raising flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
¾ cup walnuts, chopped roughly
1 packet Barker’s New Zealand Mixed Berry Compote
- Preheat oven to 180◦C and grease a loaf tin with spray oil.
- In a large bowl, add the mashed banana, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Stir through the brown sugar, extra virgin olive oil, shredded coconut, flour, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda. Fold through the walnuts then pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Dollop half the packet of Barker’s New Zealand Mixed Berry Compote on top of the batter and swirl slightly.
- Bake in an oven for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool and serve with extra berry compote and butter.